Monday, September 23, 2013

On the Stitching Front

I haven't been stitching as much since we've started teaching as I come home & fall asleep for a few hours, wake up, lesson plan, & go back to sleep! I don't know why I'm so tired at the end of the day; I'm only teaching two classes.

But I have been stitching a bit. I even have a finish!

Mid-September was DH & my 1st anniversary. It fell on a workday, so we went out for Indian food during the weekend. The place was nice, but the selection was a bit limited. We enjoyed it nonetheless.

Copper Chandni Restaurant on Thalia St.
By tradition, the first anniversary present is supposed to be related to paper, so I stitched up Love Coffee for DH.


He gave me caramel red tea (yum!), a bookstore gift certificate, and a gift certificate for Hot Stone Massage. Color me happy!


After I finished Love Coffee, I started Official Crazy Cat Lady. DH gave me this last year for our one month wedding anniversary.






I'm stitching it on 32 count Celtic Opalescent lugana from Silkweaver's (I think). It looks really nice, but I'd forgotten how annoyed I get with opalescent fabric- until I see the end result, and then I love it! So I've had to force myself a bit to stitch on this one, even though I love the pattern.

The mouse (on left, incomplete) is supposed to be stitched with WDW Linen, but it was too close to the fabric color (I floss tossed, but apparently I'm not very good at it!). The skein of Linen that I have is a shade of pink, but the OCCL instructions say it can be swapped out for DMC White.

I'm using specialty floss for this pattern since it's special to me, and I didn't want to use DMC White. I mean, if I had to, I would have, but luck intervened!

When we were taking the cats to the vet, we couldn't find the screws for the cat carrier, so we were searching through all of our suitcases. Never found the screws, but I did find this!

Woo hoo!
I'd been wondering what had happened to my WDW floss I used in Meow Block. Apparently it's been in a suitcase for years! Somewhere in that mess of floss was a little skein of luck: WDW Snowflake. It's perfect for the mouse!


Since I was feeling less than motivated to work on OCCL, I started the Peacock Needle Case seen above. It's from Textile Heritage, and I really like their kits because they're an easy stitch and they have great themes.

Peacock Needle Case: Back
Thus far, I've only finished the back and the border and a small shoot of leaves on the front. While I'm enjoying stitching it, I'm not sure I'm going to like the finished product. It was a freebie when I ordered some other stuff. I do like peacocks, so maybe I'll just turn it into a giant pin cushion!

The kitten chewed up my Love Stitching ornament. Need I say more??



I could redo it, but perforated paper isn't sold here. Into the future projects pile it goes!

For months, I've been hemming & hawing over whether or not to buy the JCS Ornament Preview, Halloween, & Ornament issues. It seemed a bit pointless to buy them and have them shipped to my mom's house. I can't have them shipped here because of the holidays involved.

But then today, I stumbled across Annie's, where I can buy and download Just Cross Stitch! (I really wish CrossStitcher had this option!) So I got all three issues, plus the March/April 2013 issue because there was a daffodil pattern that I wanted very badly!

Browsing the Ornament issue, I came across this adorable cupcake ornament by The Victoria Sampler.



I even have red silicone baking cups! I just don't have any of the buttons! I will contemplate ordering them, as I have verified that my P.O. box address is correct. My mom sent me a card on July 24th, and it arrived this week. Better late than never, right?!

Best Stitches & Wishes,

1 comment:

  1. You're right... cute cupcake! Nice stitching, but sorry that your cat chewed up your ornament.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment! They make me happy :)